Home » Admissions » Transferring to Caldwell University

Transferring to Caldwell University

Picture of a group of students

Attend one of our Transfer Tuesday events!

Attend one of our Transfer Tuesday events!

The decision to transfer or return to school to complete your degree can be daunting. Consider Caldwell University, where we make transferring a simple and smooth process. Attend one of our admissions events or learn more about our programs below.

You will find a variety of information on this page that is relevant to Caldwell University’s transfer process. See below for details about Tuition and Fees, our Transfer Policy, and our institution’s majors and programs. You will also find a database of up-to-date Course Equivalencies and Examination Equivalencies.

If you have any further questions after you have explored the Transfer Resource Center, please feel free to contact Marie DiLeonardo in Undergraduate Admissions at mdileonardo@caldwell.edu.

If you are already enrolled, please contact Marina Maret in the Registrar’s Office at mmaret@caldwell.edu.



Caldwell University Programs NJ Nursing Program Adult Education
Whether you’re a few months or even a few years removed from college, Caldwell University can put you back on track to earn your degree. Learn more about our academic programs.

Learn more about our BSN program, our RN to BSN program for registered nurses, and school nurse program. Please contact admissions@caldwell.edu for a personalized visit and more information.

If you are 23 or older, we offer an Adult Undergraduate Degree program, on a per credit basis, which offers a great deal of flexibility to meet your busy lifestyle. Learn more about the benefits of our Adult Undergraduate program.

Transfer credit may be granted for coursework at other institutions.

The following criteria are used to determine when awarding credit is appropriate:

  • The institution must be accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Foreign institutions must be officially recognized by the appropriate government agency/ ministry of education.
  • Only courses in which grades of C or better are earned are eligible for transfer.
  • Maximum of 90 semester credits may be transferred.
  • Final 30 credits and at least one-half of the major requirements (each major for double majors) must be completed at Caldwell University.
  • Credit may only be awarded for course(s) that are equivalent to Caldwell University course(s) and are a part of the program curriculum.
  • Transfer credit awarded may not exceed the maximum credits offered for an equivalent course in the Caldwell University curriculum.
  • Students who have received an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree from a New Jersey community county college will have satisfied, as a block, the Caldwell University core requirements, except for 3 credits in theology, 3 credits in philosophy and 3 credits in the Catholic and Dominican tradition and any course or courses in which a C or better was not achieved.

For the full Transfer Credit Policy, please see the Undergraduate Catalog.


If so, please contact the college or university at which you earned credit to obtain official transcript(s).

For current students, all transcripts should be sent to the Office of the Registrar.

120 Bloomfield Avenue
Caldwell, NJ 07006
c/o Office of the Registrar

For e-transcripts, email – registrar@caldwell.edu

For incoming students, all transcripts should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

120 Bloomfield Avenue
Caldwell, NJ 07006
c/o Office of Undergraduate Admissions

For e-transcripts, email – mdileonardo@caldwell.edu


For the most current tuition and fees information visit our Tuition and Fees page.


Caldwell University will accept the transfer of graduate work, including online courses, from another regionally accredited institution, usually up to six credits (depending on the program), provided the credits were completed within five years of the student’s registration with Caldwell University and those credits have not been applied to an earned degree. Official transcripts of previous graduate work as well as the description of each course must be submitted for review at the time of application. Approval of transfer credit is based on course content and grade earned in the course. No transfer credit will be awarded for courses that have earned a grade lower than a “B”. Each transfer request will be reviewed by the Program Coordinator.


A maximum of 30 credits will be accepted through all combined options of testing. Credit by examination will only be awarded within the first 60 credits of matriculation at time of admission and credit evaluation. The last 30 and at least half of the student’s major credits must be taken at Caldwell University.

AP: Caldwell University offers advanced placement and/or credits to students who qualify by earning scores of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) tests administered by the College Board.

CLEP: The university recognizes CLEP credit for both general and subject tests which evaluate achievement at the college level in areas of the liberal arts education. Caldwell University also accepts DANTES, TECEP, ACT-PEP, NY Foreign Language Proficiency Exam, and selected other standardized examination scores. Credit awarded toward the major field of study is dependent upon departmental approval. CLEP credits are not accepted for duplicated course work.

PLA: Prior Learning Assessment is a method whereby learning gained through an individual’s life experience is considered as credit toward a college degree program. Individuals can apply for PLA credit through the portfolio method. This method requires the student to document their life experiences and demonstrate their similarity to learning gained through formal college level education. Caldwell University follows The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) guidelines in the award of credit.

A candidate for the PLA program must be an adult student, matriculated with at least 12 earned Caldwell University credits, and they must meet with the PLA advisor. A Student may earn a maximum of 18 credits towards a degree through the PLA process. Only 6 of these credits may satisfy major requirements. PLA credits may also be used to satisfy electives or core requirements. All PLA credits must be completed prior to the last semester before graduation and the recommendation to award PLA credits must be received by the Registrar prior to the beginning of the last semester before a student’s anticipated graduation.

Go to Examination Equivalencies


For applicants who have earned college credits from foreign educational institutions, a World Education Services (www.wes.org) course by course evaluation is required as part of the application process.

*Note, for review of College Credit: ONLY a WES is currently accepted.

International students with HIGH SCHOOL credit that is eligible for College Transfer may use any NACES accredited agency. (https://www.naces.org/members).