M.A. in Counseling with School Counseling Specialization
The M.A. in Counseling with School Counseling Specialization prepares qualified individuals who wish to pursue the profession of counselor in school settings. Upon completion of the program, you will have met the NJ Department of Education (DOE) requirements for the credential, Certified School Counselor.
The program is designed to prepare you to work within the guidelines of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA)’s “National Model: A Framework for School Counseling Programs.” Graduates of this master’s program may also take an additional 12 credits to satisfy the educational requirements for the credential of New Jersey Licensed Professional Counselor. You will also be eligible to take the additional 12 credits to meet the educational requirements for the New Jersey Department of Education Certification for the Director of School Counseling Services.
Note – The application deadlines for the M.A. in Counseling with School Counseling Specialization are:
April 1 – Summer; June 1 – Fall; December 1 – Spring Semesters
Applications received after the posted deadline will be considered, however, depending on available class space, acceptance may be deferred.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.2
- Bachelor’s-level course work in psychology, education, or a closely related field and successful completion of a statistics course.
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Submission of either the GRE general test or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is optional
- Writing sample: Submission of a research-based paper of 5-10 pages that was previously submitted in an undergraduate or graduate course. APA style preferred. At the discretion of the Coordinator, other subject matter and/or formatting may be considered if the candidate has limited access to coursework.
- Two letters of recommendation for graduate study, preferably from former professors or current employer
- Personal or group interview
A central component of Caldwell University’s counseling programs is the integration of spirituality throughout their coursework. In this context, students are prepared to competently consider the many aspects of the lives of their future clients. The clinical mental health counseling program with art therapy specialization is also approved by the American Art Therapy Association.
M.A. in Counseling
- Mental Health Counseling Specialization
- Mental Health Counseling Art Therapy Specialization
- School Counseling Specialization
Combined B.A. in Psychology/M.A. in Counseling
Post-Graduate M.A. in Art Therapy
Post-Master Director of School Counseling
Post-Master Professional Counselor Licensing Credits
Post-Master School Counseling Specialization
A Catholic Liberal Arts Education
At the core of a Caldwell education is our liberal arts curriculum, designed to guide students to critical thinking skills, appreciate diverse cultures, and acquire a moral and civic awareness.
Students develop the whole self as they absorb learning through our liberal arts core: the humanities; the physical and biological sciences, and mathematics; and the social sciences.