M.A. in Counseling with Clinical Mental Health Counseling Specialization
The M.A. in Counseling with Mental Health Counseling Specialization is a rigorous 60-credit degree program which prepares students to effectively function as clinical mental health counselors in a variety of human service settings. Graduates of this program will hold a master’s degree that satisfies fully the coursework requirements for licensure in New Jersey as a Professional Counselor. In addition, the program fulfills CACREP Standards for Clinical Mental Health Counselors. This program requires that students complete prescribed coursework, practicum and internship experiences, and must pass a written and oral comprehensive examination. The program particularly emphasizes a cognitive-behavioral theoretical orientation, and the coursework accentuates this approach. While other theoretical perspectives are studied as well, students in this program gain a strong conceptual and practical cognitive-behavioral understanding.
Note – The application deadlines for the M.A. in Counseling with Mental Health Counseling Specialization are:
April 1 – Summer; June 1 – Fall; December 1 – Spring Semesters
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.2
- Bachelor’s-level coursework in psychology, accruing at least 15 credits, including Psychological Statistics, Experimental Psychology, and Psychopathology, and two from among the following: General Psychology, Personality Theory, Human Development (Child, Adolescent, or Adult Development) with an earned grade of at least a B in each
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Writing sample: Submission of a research-based paper of 5-10 pages that was previously submitted in an undergraduate or graduate counseling or psychology course. APA style preferred.
- Two letters of recommendation for graduate study, preferably from former professors or current employer
- Personal interview with the program coordinator and/or participation in a group interview
A central component of Caldwell University’s counseling programs is the integration of spirituality throughout their coursework. In this context, students are prepared to competently consider the many aspects of the lives of their future clients. All master's program specializations are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
M.A. in Counseling
- Mental Health Counseling Specialization
- Mental Health Counseling Art Therapy Specialization – AATA Approved
- School Counseling Specialization
Combined B.A. in Psychology/M.A. in Counseling
Post-Graduate M.A. in Art Therapy
Post-Master Director of School Counseling
Post-Master Professional Counselor Licensing Credits
Post-Master School Counseling Specialization
A Catholic Liberal Arts Education
At the core of a Caldwell education is our liberal arts curriculum, designed to guide students to critical thinking skills, appreciate diverse cultures, and acquire a moral and civic awareness.
Students develop the whole self as they absorb learning through our liberal arts core: the humanities; the physical and biological sciences, and mathematics; and the social sciences.