Certificate in Communication and Media Studies
Caldwell University is proud to launch a new Certificate in Communication and Media Studies.
This professionally-focused program offers foundational courses in mass media and broadcast journalism, as well as specialized courses in video editing, radio and podcasting, digital filmmaking, and screenwriting. Electives also include media theory courses such as intercultural communications and film genres.
The certificate is designed to provide you with a foundational understanding of current issues in mass media while giving you access to hands-on training and/or media studies courses. The goal is to develop your knowledge and help you build up a skill set that will make you stand out in a competitive marketplace.
• Earn a certificate without committing to a full degree program.
• You can apply the credits earned in this certificate program toward an undergraduate communications degree.
• The Certificate in Communication and Media Studies is a comprehensive upgrade to any degree and applies across any career.
This program provides a comprehensive overview of the practical and theoretical aspects of the media field. The varied courses offer vital preparation for careers in on-air performance, production, and media management. The three required courses provide a theoretical foundation and exposure to basic performance and production techniques. The electives allow you to pursue specific career goals in this dynamic field.
The certificate program is designed to also be offered as a minor in Communication and Media Studies for matriculated students at Caldwell.
The certificate in Communication and Media Studies consists of six 3-credit courses:
Three other courses in communication and media studies from among.
- CO 210 Basic TV Production
- CO 250 Film History
- CO 260 Film Genres
- CO 305 Television Show Genres
- CO 310 Video Editing
- CO 314 Seminar in Contemporary Cinema
- CO 315 Advanced Video Editing
- CO 325 TV and Digital Journalism
- CO 340 Director as Auteur
- CO 345 Intercultural Communication
- CO 350 Radio Broadcasting and Podcasting
- CO 355 Digital Filmmaking
- CO 362 Social Media Communications
- CO 380 Audio, Camera, Lighting
- BU/CO 382 Sports Media
- CO 402 Screenwriting
- CO 405 Film Criticism Through Video Essays
- CO 410 Advanced Podcasting: Performance, Production, and Purpose
The 18-credit Communication and Media Studies certificate program is open to applicants with a high school diploma.