Certificate in Actuarial Science
Caldwell University is proud to launch a new Certificate in Actuarial Science. This interdisciplinary program is offered by the Caldwell Mathematics Department and the School of Business and Computer Science. The 35-credit post-secondary program consists of 11 courses, ranging from math to business and computer science to prepare you for a career in risk management and assessment.
Actuarial Science is an area of study that analyzes and assesses the financial impact of risk. Businesses and government agencies need to forecast financial risk to improve decision-making. With a Certificate in Actuarial Science, you can pursue careers in insurance, finance, investments, analytics, and risk analysis.
This interdisciplinary certificate program is easily pursued by either a mathematics major or a business major—mathematics students take an additional 17 business credits and business majors take an additional 18 credits. You may be able to apply previously-earned business or math credits toward this program.
- Earn a certificate without committing to a full degree program.
- You can apply the credits earned in this certificate program toward an undergraduate business or math degree.
- The Certificate in Actuarial Science is a comprehensive upgrade to any degree and a great resume builder.
This certificate provides the essential educational background for anyone seeking a career as an actuary.
Areas of focus include:
- Probability distribution
- Investments and asset management
- Risk management
The certificate program is designed to also be offered in the School of Business and Computer Science as a concentration in Actuarial Science for matriculated students at Caldwell.
The certificate in Actuarial Science consists of 11 courses:
- BU 205 Principles of Economics I
- BU 210 Principles of Economics II
- BU 211 Accounting I
- BU 212 Accounting II
- BU 337 Principles of Finance
- CS 219 Business Spreadsheets
- MA 220 Calculus I (4 credits)
- MA 221 Calculus II (4 credits)
- MA 214 Linear Algebra I
- MA 311 Probability and Statistics I
- MA 312 Probability and Statistics II
The 35-credit Actuarial Science certificate program is open to applicants with a bachelor’s degree at a cost of $725 per credit. Financial aid and discounts may be available.