The process of getting started should begin three to four semesters in advance
1 – Reflect. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are 2-3 goals you have (academic and personal) in studying abroad?
- In what part of the world do you want to study? If it is not an English speaking country, will you have some language fluency?
- How long do you want to be abroad? A week, semester, or year?
- What part of the year do you want to study abroad?
- How will the time frame impact your course sequence at Caldwell?
- What are your financial responsibilities with tuition?
2 – Consult with your academic advisor. Speak with your Academic Advisor about specific programs that other students in your major may have traveled. Discuss what classes you might be able to take towards your major and how it may change the course sequence of your major.
3 – Schedule a meeting. Meet with Jhoanna Oliva-Marquez, Academic Advisor, C.A.R.E.S. located in Aquinas Hall Room 104, 973-618-3428 to discuss how studying abroad can foster your academic and personal goals and understand the application process and deadlines.
5 – Connect with returnees. Talk with other students who have studied abroad and gone through a similar process. Get their advice on searching for the right program, how they prepared to live in another country, and other helpful tips!
6 – Students and their families should be aware that the U.S. Department of State maintains a website for U.S. citizen students who are, or will be, studying abroad. It may be found at http://studentsabroad.state.gov/ and addresses the following subject areas:
- Enrolling ones’ presence abroad with the nearest U.S. Embassy through the STEP Enrollment Program at:
- Checking country-specific conditions as well as travel warnings and alerts at:
- Offering students travel safety and other traveling tips provided at:
7 – Apply for a Passport! This process can take 4-6 weeks once the application has been submitted. If it is your first time applying for a U.S. Passport, following the instructions on “Applying for a Passport for the First Time” International student should contact Maulin Joshi, Director of International Student Services.