Home » Academic Services » Advisement Services » For Faculty Advisors

For Faculty Advisors

At Caldwell University, academic advisement is an interactive partnership between an advisor and a student. The intent of this collaboration is to assist the student in the development of meaningful educational and career goals that are consistent with the individual’s interests, values, and abilities. Throughout this process, the student is encouraged to think critically and seek out resources. The ultimate responsibility for making decisions about education plans and career goals rests with the student.

The following are some useful resources/links:


1. What is the maximum number of credits I am allowed to take?
Traditional students can enroll in a minimum of 12 credits and a maximum of 18 in any given semester to be eligible for full time status. If a student wants to enroll in additional credits, there are certain criteria that need to be met as noted in the University Undergraduate Catalog.If the student is eligible to request a course overload (minimum 3.0 GPA), they must submit the necessary paperwork.

2. How do I know when I am eligible to register?
Registration is based on earned credits; this does not include credits that students are currently registered in. Registration dates based on earned credits are the following:
Monday – Adult Undergraduates, Students with 90+ earned credits, & In-season priority student-athletes
Tuesday – Students with 75+ earned credits
Wednesday – Students with 30+ earned credits
Thursday – Students with 18+earned credits
Friday – Students with less than 18 earned credits

3. Where can I find instructions on how to register online?
Directions about how to register on-line can be found on the “Online Resources” on the Advisement Website.

4. What do I do if I cannot remember my MyCaldwell Portal password or if I “lock myself out?”
You must visit the myPassword self-service password management page and either reset or unlock your NetID password: http://mypassword.caldwell.edu/?ReturnURL=https://mail.caldwell.edu

5. I have an advising hold on my account. What does this mean?
There are several types of holds which can prevent a student from registering. An advising hold implies that a meeting must occur with the academic advisor. There are also other types of holds which may require a student speaking to a specific office, i.e. Bursar Hold; Health Hold, etc.

6. Can athletes register online?
All Caldwell students must meet with their advisor first to have their registration hold removed in order to register based on their designated registration date based on earned credits. Student-athletes who are not in-season may register online; student-athletes who are in-season may not register online and must meet with the Director of Advisement after they have met with their advisor to ensure the minimization of class/game conflicts.

Season designations are based on the semester that they are register for.
Fall student-athletes are in-season when registering for their fall courses. These athletes include MSOC, WSOC, CC, WVOL, WTEN, MBASK, WBASK, BOWL
Spring student-athletes are in-season when registering for their spring courses. These athletes include BASE, SOFT, MTEN, TRK, LAX, MBASK, WBASK, BOWL

7. What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from a class?
The distinction is the time in the semester. Within the first week of classes called the add/drop period, students can drop classes without them ever appearing on their permanent record. During this time, students can also add course(s).

After that, there are two times in the semester when students can withdraw from a course with a W notation or if after a certain number of weeks, with a WP or WF (withdrawal passing or withdrawal failing.) Students should refer to the academic calendar for withdrawal dates.

8. How do I declare or change my major?
Freshman must visit the Center for Student Success and fill out the “Declaration of Major” form no later than the end of their first-year to be assigned an academic advisor within their major department.

All upper-classmen must complete a “Declaration of Add/Delete Major” form. It should then be signed by the Chair of the Department and returned to the Office of the Registrar and then the major will be changed in the system and a new advisor will be assigned.

Adult students should see their advisor to change or add a major.

9. How do I withdraw or take a leave of absence from Caldwell?
While our hope is to have every student continue at the college, we understand that for various reasons students may need to take a break or leave the community. Students should read the “Taking Time Away From The College” webpage to understand which option best works for their situation and then speak with their advisor. Students may submit an online LOA or Withdrawal request through MyCaldwell Portal under the Forms section of the site. Students may also visit the Center for Student Success.

10. How long will it take for me to get my degree?

It’s up to you. Each student makes progress toward their degree at their own pace. Some students take up to 18 credits during the spring and fall semesters and up to twelve credits during the summer/winter sessions in order to expedite obtaining their degree.

Remember that one-half of the course work in your major and your final 30 credits must be completed at Caldwell University.

Students may refer to the Suggested Four Year Major Plans and should check their unofficial degree audit on MyCaldwell Portal to ensure their individual progress.