Glossary of Terms

Academic Advisor
Academic advisors are professional staff members who are available to assist and instruct their students with their academic program planning and with matching the College’s resources’ to their needs and goals. The National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) states that Academic Advising is a decision making process and partnership between advisor and student. Students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisors either in person, electronically, or by phone during the registration process and throughout the semester. All students should contact their respective advisors prior to their last 30 credits at Caldwell in preparation for graduation.

Accelerated Learning Program (ALP)
Students have the opportunity to take courses within two, seven-week, Saturday semesters during the spring and fall. The time slot for the Accelerated program is 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. In order to participate in this program, students must be twenty-three years of age or older, have a minimum grade point average of 2.5, and have successfully completed at least twelve college credits.

This is the brief period of time when a student may drop or add a class. Consult the Academic Course Offerings booklet and the Academic Calendar for specific dates. Specific paperwork is required.

Adjunct Faculty
Adjuncts are part-time faculty members, practicing professionals, who bring to the classroom a special connection between theory and practice.

Core Curriculum
All students who attend Caldwell University must take specific courses to satisfy general education requirements. The Core curriculum affirms Caldwell University’s commitment to a liberal arts education as well as its commitment to our Catholic Dominican tradition. Students should also consult their Caldwell University catalog for information on Core requirements specific to their major.

Credit hours/semester hours
These are interchangeable terms. Most Caldwell courses are three credits. A minimum of 120 credits is required of most majors in order to graduate.

Each academic discipline in the College is structured with a group of faculty members under the leadership of a Department Chair, or in the case of the Business and Education Divisions, an Associate Dean and under the direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Department/Division Chairs or Heads, are those persons who are in charge of interpreting the policies of Caldwell University regarding their particular departments.


The faculty of Caldwell University consists of full professors, assistant and associate professors, and adjuncts (qualified, part-time instructors). All teaching staff are professionals who possess a minimum of a Master’s degree in the discipline they teach. All full-time faculty hold a Ph. D.

Grade Point Average/GPA
Only course work taken at Caldwell University is included in the computation of the grade point average. Students may view their current GPA by logging into their MyCaldwell Portal.

Grade Report
Term grades are recorded in the Registrar’s office and are made available at the close of the semester to all students in good standing. Term grades will not be available to students whose financial account has not been settled in full. Students may access their grades by logging into MyCaldwell Portal.

A matriculated student is one who has met all requirements of the College in order to be successfully admitted and are working towards a degree.

On-Line Courses

Offered to Adult undergraduate students only. No in-person class time is required. There are specific hardware/software requirements and technical support is available 24/7. Students should speak with their Academic Advisor for more information.

New adult students participate in an orientation program designed specifically for adults.Professional staff guide students through a new student program and workshops on academic skill building, time management, and other pertinent topics. For more information, visit the Adult Undergraduate Orientation website.

Outcomes Assessment
Some departments require students to pass a comprehensive exam in their major before graduating. Other departments require that students take a specific capstone course rather than an exam. Students should contact the Department Chair of their major for clarification.

Some advanced courses (200, 300, or 400 level) often require previous courses before students can enroll in them. These are called prerequisites and they are listed after the course descriptions in the Caldwell University Catalog. Prior to enrolling in MA 112, students must pass the math assessment administered through Admissions or take and successfully pass the arithmetic and algebra review.

Withdrawal, WP (Withdrawal Passing and WF(Withdrawal Failing)

This is the process of withdrawing from a course during a specified time frame. The dates are available on the College’s academic calendar. Submission of a signed “withdrawal” form is required. Two WF’s will have implications towards the GPA and dismissal decisions. Please visit the Taking Time Away From the College website for more information on the withdrawal and leave of absence process.’