**Currently, the State of New Jersey remains in Stage 2 of Governor Murphy’s Restart Plan. Therefore, as we start the fall semester, capacity in the residence halls must be limited. At this time, we also will not be permitting any guests to visit in the residence halls. **
Visitation Policy Non-Resident Visitation Policy
Non-resident visitors are defined as students or persons who are not Caldwell University residents. All non-resident visitors must sign-in at the front/security desk, and leave a valid, signed government issued photo ID with date of birth (i.e. license, passport, etc.) These visitation privileges are not intended for anyone under the age of 18. The visitor is required to wear the “Visitor” badge provided at all times during the visit. Designated visitation hours must be observed (Sunday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.; Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m.). Students are responsible for the behavior of their guests. The resident student receiving the guest must meet the visitor at the front desk and sign the visitor in with the front desk personnel. The resident host or guest must provide the front desk personnel with a contact number in case the guest has not signed out by the end of visitation hours. Resident students may not have more than two guests signed in at once during daytime visitation hours. No visitor may wander through the residence halls unless accompanied by the Caldwell University resident student host. All IDs retained at the security desk are to be retrieved by the guest upon departure. All unclaimed identification documents will be handled in the following manner:
- At the end of visitation hours, the Security Personnel at the front/security desk will contact either the resident host or guest via the contact information given of all unclaimed IDs. If the resident host or guest is unable to be contacted, a message will be left.
- The guest will have 15 minutes to claim their ID and exit the residence hall.
- If after 15 minutes the guest does not claim their ID and exit the residence hall, the Security Personnel on duty will be contacted. The Security Personnel will search for the guest and escort the guest out of the residence hall. The resident host will be issued a written formal warning.
**At no time can a parent remain overnight in the residence halls as a guest under any circumstances.
Resident Student/Commuter Student Visitation Policy
A resident student is defined as a Caldwell University student who currently resides in the residence halls. A commuter student is defined as a Caldwell University student who is a current Caldwell University commuter student. All resident/commuter visitors may sign themselves into the residence hall that they are visiting with the front desk personnel by leaving their Caldwell University ID. They must identify a host they are going to see. Designated visitation hours must be observed (Sunday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.; Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m.). All Caldwell University IDs retained at the security desk are to be retrieved by the guest upon departure. If any resident or commuter violates the guest policy, he/she is subject to conduct proceedings.
Resident students are permitted to have one overnight guest of the same gender within these guidelines:
- Students may only host one overnight guest of the same gender at a time. No opposite sex/gender overnight visitation. (Gender/sex is determined by what is stated on government issued identification)
- Parents/legal guardians are not permitted to remain in the residence halls overnight, even if the reason is medical
- Roommates have the right to say no to the presence of guests or visitors in the room at any time. Failure to comply with the roommate’s request will result in a documentation.
- Students must register their overnight guest via the Visitor Watch online system prior to the end of guest hours on the date of their arrival. The website can be found on the residence life portal page and security webpage.
- The guest’s name on the ID must match the registration information in the visitor watch system.
- Resident students may only have one overnight guest signed in at a time. Guests are limited to a stay of two consecutive nights in one week (7 day cycle) Sunday–Saturday.
- Residents may have 15 overnight guests per semester regardless if they are residents or non-residents.
- No student is authorized to permit extended use of housing facilities to any visitor, either student or non-student.
- These visitation privileges are not intended for anyone under the age of 18.
- The resident student is solely responsible for the actions of his/her guest and will be held accountable for any inappropriate behavior the guest may engage in while in the residence halls or on campus.
- Caldwell University residents/commuters who sign themselves into the residence halls will be held accountable for any inappropriate behavior and will result in disciplinary actions.
- All overnight guests must be accompanied, at all times, by their resident host/hostess. Residents may not sign in or out the guests of other residents. Non-Resident day guests must be accompanied at all times. Commuter and Resident day guests do not have to be accompanied when signing in or out of a building.
- The university reserves the right to suspend visitation privileges for those violating the visitation policies.
- Out of respect for the privacy of others, gathering in the hallways by students’ rooms is prohibited.
- Sneaking into the residence halls with or without an ID card will result in a documentation. Sanctions are at the discretion of the conduct officer and based on severity, frequency, and prior conduct history.
Resident students may visit among themselves without restriction, but the rights of roommates must always be considered. Guests of the opposite gender (what is stated on government ID) may not remain overnight, and Caldwell does not condone sexual intimacy outside of marriage. All guests must leave by the end of guest hours for the night, this includes residents of the same building.