This program is designed for individuals who seek certification as a School Administrator. We prepare school leaders who will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of theory and strategic decision-making in order to meet the learning needs of all students.
- Act in an ethical, fair, and trustworthy manner while interacting with all members of the school community.
- Meet the requirements for the State of New Jersey Superintendent Certification.
- Official undergraduate/graduate transcripts
- One professional reference
- Personal interview with the program coordinator
- Copy of New Jersey certifications
- Minimum of five years successful teaching experience or its equivalent in New Jersey schools under a standard teaching or appropriate certificate.
To be eligible for the school administrator CE, the candidate shall:
1. Complete one of the following:
- Hold a master’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university in educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, or one of the recognized fields of leadership or management;
- Hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and complete a Post-Master program resulting in certification of advanced study in educational administration and supervision;
- Hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and complete a Post-Master program in a coherent sequence of 30 semester hour credits as they appear on the institution’s transcript. The study must be completed at one institution in educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, or one of the recognized fields of leadership or management;
- Hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and complete a New Jersey state-approved certification program in educational leadership offered by providers approved by the department pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9-12.5(j)2, (k)2 and (l)1; or
- Hold a master’s degree from an NCATE or TEAC approved program in educational leadership from an out-of-state college or university.
2. Complete a minimum of 30 graduate credits either within the master’s program or in addition to it, in the following quality components of preparation to promote student learning as set forth in N.J.A.C. 6A:9-3.4 (a)1 through 6:
- Lead a common vision of learning in the school community;
- Lead a climate and culture conducive to student learning and staff professional growth
- Lead a safe and effective environment for learning;
- Lead the mobilization of resources, response to diverse needs, and collaboration with families and communities;
- Lead with integrity and fairness; and
- Lead with a perspective of the larger political, social, economic and legal context.
3. Complete a 150-hour internship in educational leadership independent of other course requirements.
4. Pass a state approved examination of knowledge that is acquired through study of the topics listed in (a) 2 above, aligned with the Professional Standards for School Leaders that is directly related to the functions of superintendents as defined in N.J.A.C. 6A:9-12.3(a); and
5. Complete five years of successful educational experience in a public or non-public school, a public or non-public school district, or a regionally accredited higher educational setting in New Jersey or out-of-state.
ED 681 Internship for School Administrator (3)*
This course fulfills the requirement of 150 hours of internship as per the
New Jersey certification for school administrator N.J.A.C. 6Q: 9 12.4 (a) 3.
ED 685 Leadership for the School Administrator: Role of the Superintendent in the 21st Century (3)
*Candidates may take the Internship as a stand-alone course and pass the School Administrator Praxis exam to receive this certification.