This program is designed to meet the high demand for ESL teachers in New Jersey through this exciting online program. This program is designed to meet the State of New Jersey certification requirements for the English as a Second Language Certification for applicants who already have a valid STANDARD New Jersey Instructional Certificate in education. This program can be finished in a calendar year if attending full time.
- Formal application to Caldwell University’s Office of Graduate Studies
- Verification of an earned bachelor’s degree through official graduate transcript(s)
- STANDARD New Jersey Instructional Certificate
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Writing sample: In lieu of the statement of objectives on the application, include with your application a 1-2 page typed statement of your goals/objectives for entering the ESL program
ED 516 Linguistics (3)
ED 517 Language Acquisition: First and Second Language Development (3)
ED 518 Methods of Teaching ESL (12-hour field requirement) (Prerequisite: EN 520) (3)
ED 519 Theory and Practice of Teaching English to Non-native Speakers (12-hour field requirement) (Prerequisite: EN 520 (3)
ED 576 Reading Foundations (3)
ED 590 Curricula in a Multicultural Society (3)
EN 520 Structure of American English (3)
Prior to the completion of this program, students must pass a state-approved examination of knowledge, Written Proficiency Interview (WPI) and Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Fees are set by the testing institutions.