Home » Financial Aid » Veterans Program

Veterans Program

A Veteran in Caldwell University

Welcome! Thank you for choosing Caldwell University (Caldwell) to continue your education. It is our pleasure to serve you after the service you have provided for our country. We want to ensure that you get the most from your VA benefits. To help you understand the process and your responsibilities, we’ve prepared the following information. Please read it carefully as it contains important information that will affect your benefits.

Veterans Educational Benefits

The Veterans School Certifying Official (SCO) at Caldwell University is the liaison with the VA Regional Processing Office in Buffalo, New York, to assist veterans, dependents of veterans with the application and certification process. This office will assist the eligible student to apply for their respective educational benefits for the Montgomery GI Bill under Chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607. Questions regarding the eligibility of a veteran or dependent can be answered by calling 1 888-GIBILL1 or using VA Ask a Question.

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty): Members of the armed forces who entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, will receive monthly payments if they contributed to the program following enlistment and subsequently enroll in courses at an accredited educational facility.
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Voc Rehab): Members having a service-connected disability that entitles them to veteran compensation can receive tuition and fees paid to the college under this program.
  • Chapter 32 – Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP): This program provides financial assistance for members of the armed forces who initially entered service after December 31, 1976.
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill: The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
  • Chapter 35 – Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA): Sons, daughters and/or spouses of veterans are eligible for financial assistance if the veteran died in service as a result of a service-connected disability or became permanently and totally disabled while in the service.
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR): Students who enlist in the Reserve component of the armed forces and contribute to the MGIB will receive monthly payments while attending courses at a State Approved accredited educational facility.
  • Chapter 1607 – Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP): Established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005, it is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain individuals currently serving in the Selected Reserves, or who were activated after September 11, 2001, eligible for education benefits and increased benefits.

Before Apply for VA Educational Benefits

  • The Department of Veterans Affairs requires each applicant for VA educational benefits to be formally accepted to an approved curriculum/program of study before initial certification. (Under certain circumstances, up to 24 credits within one year may be certified as a non-matriculated student.)
  • To apply for admission (matriculation), the following must be received by the Caldwell University Admissions Office:
    • Completed admission application
    • Official high school transcript (this document is not required if student will be transferring more than 60 credits from another college upon admission)
    • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges
    • Transcripts of Military training & classes can translate to college credit. Order an “official transcript” online through AARTS or through SMART. Contact your admissions counselor to let them know when you have submitted your request.
    • SAT or ACT scores for first-time full-time students
    • Non-refundable application fee.
    • The application and instructions are available in our Admissions Office or by completing our Caldwell University Online Application.
    • Applicants are encouraged to visit the campus during Open House Programs and weekday tours.

Veteran Education Benefit Programs and Requirements

  • Most VA forms necessary for application for educational benefits that can be easily completed and submitted through the Veterans On Line Application (VONAPP).
  • Benefits and application process vary from program to program. Your application package must be completed before certification. Requirements for each program’s initial application are:


  • By using your educational benefits, you will generate a continuing stream of school and VA correspondence. All correspondence is important and should be read carefully upon receipt. We urge you to create a file for all VA and/or school correspondence.
  • Verify personal data such as address, date of birth, social security number and name. Pay particular attention to the enrollment dates reported. If any information is incorrect, please notify the School Certifying Official immediately.
  • Montgomery GI BILL (Chapter 30, 1606, 1607) Enrollment verification is done monthly by the student. Telephone (877) 823-2378 OR online using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system.

Other helpful links:

(For Questions on Enrollment Certification, College Admissions, and Programs)

  • Thomas Disch
    Senior Admissions Counselor
    Phone: (973) 618-3216
    Email: tdisch@caldwell.edu
  • Aura Vales
    Financial Aid Counselor/VA School Certifying Official
    Phone: (973) 618-3221
    Email: avales@caldwell.edu