Home » Admissions » Transferring to Caldwell University » Caldwell University Transfer Credit Policy

Caldwell University Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit may be granted for coursework at other institutions. The following criteria are used to determine when awarding credit is appropriate:

The institution must be accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or officially recognized by the appropriate government agency/ministry of education for foreign institutions.

Transcripts from foreign institutions must be evaluated by World Education Services

Credit may be granted for military education experiences based upon American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations.

Credit may be granted for other educational experiences, such as professional police and fire training, upon individual review.

Grades of C or better may be accepted. Grades of P (Passing) or S (Satisfactory) may only be considered if it is the policy of the transferring institution that these grades are equivalent to a C or better and may only used for elective credit.

A cumulative maximum of 90 semester hours may be transferred and used toward an undergraduate degree. The final 30 credits and at least one-half of the major requirements must be taken at Caldwell University

Credit may only be awarded for coursework that is similar to Caldwell University coursework and is appropriate to the chosen curriculum.  Transfer credit awarded may not exceed the maximum credits offered for an equivalent course in the Caldwell University curriculum.

Students who have received an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree from a New Jersey community/county college will have satisfied, as a block, the Caldwell University Core Requirements, except for 3 credits in Theology, 3 credits in Philosophy and 3 credits in the Catholic and Dominican Tradition and any course or courses in which a C or better was not achieved.

In most cases, courses from other institutions will not be equivalent to Theology 102 due to the focus on Catholic theology.

Students who would like to appeal the decision of how transfer credit was awarded should contact the Office of Admissions prior to enrollment or the Registrar’s Office after enrollment with their appeal. Appeals of specific courses will be sent to the appropriate Academic Department/Division head for re-review. The student will be notified of the decision of the appeal and the appeal will be noted. 

Articulation Agreements:

NJ Transfer Logo


Caldwell University is a member of the New Jersey Statewide Transfer Initiative (NJ Transfer), which includes the 19 county/ community colleges in New Jersey.