F1 Visa Application Information

Student Visa Application Process

International students coming to Caldwell University will need to be sure they have the proper visa status and documentation before beginning their academic programs or employment. While some individuals may already hold a type of status that permits study or employment, most will need to obtain an immigration document from the University and apply for the appropriate visa stamp at a US Embassy or Consulate. Students already in the United States at another institution and/or in another immigration status will need to take the appropriate steps and apply to the appropriate agencies before commencing at Caldwell University. Please follow the instructions below.

Apply for an F-1 visa stamp at a US Embassy or Consulate

The student should pay the SEVIS fee and schedule an appointment for a visa interview at a US Embassy or Consulate in his or her home country. Each visa applicant will need to complete the visa application, pay the necessary fees, and bring the Form I-20, financial documentation, and additional documentation as required to the interview. Students should consult the documentary requirements of the individual embassy or consulate at which they will be applying – http://www.usembassy.gov. Once the visa application is approved, the consular officer will place a visa stamp in the individual’s passport.

Note: Citizens of Canada are exempt from the visa stamp requirement but must pay the SEVIS fee and present evidence of fee payment and Form I-20 at a US Port of Entry where they will be admitted to the appropriate immigration status.

Other Options

Not all newly admitted students will obtain their immigration documents and status precisely in the way described above. Please see below for the situation that best applies.

Change of Status – Newly admitted students who are already in the United States and are changing from their current immigration status to F-1 status should contact OISS and review the information at http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/C2en.pdf

F-1 students must inform OISS if the change of status has not been approved by the program start date indicated on Form I-20. Students must immediately report the results of their change of status application to OISS when notified by USCIS.

Transfer – F-1 students transferring from another institution to Caldwell University and remaining in the same immigration status will have to request that their SEVIS records be electronically transferred to Caldwell.

  • F-1students will receive a Form I-20 from Caldwell University that reads “Transfer Pending” and must report to ISS within 15 days of the program start date indicated on Form I-20. OISS will then validate the SEVIS record and issue a Form I-20 for “Continued Attendance”.

Change of Education Level  – Students changing from one-degree program to another within Caldwell University should contact OISS to request new immigration documents.  The online request must be submitted to OISS at least 3 weeks before the current program expires.

Returning from Leave of Absence – Students returning from a leave of absence should contact OISS for instructions.

Are F-1 students eligible to work?

F-1 status allows students to hold Caldwell University issued I-20s to engage in on-campus employment at Caldwell University for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during vacation periods.
F-1 status also allows you to work off-campus (not at Caldwell University) in the US, but there are restrictions and prior authorization from OISS is required. You should discuss your eligibility to work with an advisor at OISS prior to accepting employment.
We advise that you visit our website for specific information on employment options for F-1 students, both during and after completion of your studies.

Are there health insurance requirements for F-1 students?

The US Department of State (DOS) requires F-1 students and their dependents to be in compliance with the health insurance standards most recently developed in the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act H.R. 3590”. International students can contact OISS regarding whether their home health insurance will be applicable in location and coverage.