I-20 Application Form and Documents

The I-20 is available in both rich text and PDF format.

Click here for the I-20 in PDF format.

Read the following instructions carefully, complete the form completely and email to International@caldwell.edu

Be sure to include the following as a single, scanned attachment:

-Completed I20 Application
-Copy Passport Photo
-Copy of Acceptance Letter/Award Letters
-Copy of Bank Letters

See here for Transfer-In Form for Transfer Students


What is a Form I-20 and why do you need one?

A Form I-20 is a government form on which Caldwell University certifies to the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status. It certifies that you: are or expect to be a “bona fide” student;  meet our admissions requirements; will pursue a full course of study;  proved that you have enough money to study and live in the U.S. without working illegally or suffering from poverty.

You need a Form I-20 to obtain an F-1 student visa or status, or to keep lawful F-1 status when transferring or changing schools within the U.S. We will send you our I-20 before you travel if you tell us that you are traveling outside the U.S. before classes begin.

Does everybody need an I-20?

No, some international students do not need an I-20. If you are maintaining another nonimmigrant status in the U.S., you do not need an I-20 and may attend school full or part-time. Dependent children in E, F, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, or S status need to change their status after their 21st birthday or if they marry. If you have no legal status, you may attend school but you are not eligible to change status and do not need an I-20.


Yes, you can’t enter the U.S. with a B-1, B-2, OR B-1/2 Visa unless it is marked “Prospective Student”

If you use a B visa to enter the U.S., you could be guilty of “fraudulent entry” and refused permission to stay longer than six months or to extend or change your status. Do not listen to people who say it is easy to enter the country as a visitor and change your status. It is not true!

You can’t enter the U.S. without a Visa (Unless you are Canadian)

If you are from a country from which you can enter the U.S. as a visitor by showing a round trip airline ticket, do not do this. If you enter without a visa, you will be permitted to stay for only 90 days. You will not be given more time or allowed to change to student status.