Home » Academics » Academic Departments » School of Education » FAQS ON TEACHER CERTIFICATION/PRAXIS INFORMATION



  1. What is the required GPA to become a certified teacher in NJ?
  • The State of New Jersey currently requires that all students graduating with a degree in Education have a GPA of 3.0 when a GPA of 4.00 equals an A grade in a baccalaureate degree program. Caldwell University requires a GPA of 3.0 for Education students.
  1. What types of certifications are available in New Jersey?
  • There are three types of credentials, Instructional, Educational Services, and Administrative. There are specific endorsements in each one of these certificates. Example – Certificate Instructional – possible Endorsements–elementary teacher, teacher of English, or Special Education.
    (Please refer to the website: NJ Department of Education for more information.
  1. Which Praxis must I pass to enter a Teacher Educator program?
  • As of September 2015, all students must pass all three parts of the Core Academic Skills for Educators (combined #5751) in order to be accepted into any Teacher Educator program in New Jersey. For more information, please visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/nj/requirements.

*Students may be exempt from this requirement based on their SAT or ACT scores. These passing scores are subject to change.

  1. When is the best time for me to take the Praxis II test for my certification?
  • You should take the Praxis II test required for your certification(s) while you are enrolled in either the ED340 or ED 348 course. By taking this test early in your education you have the opportunity to take it again if failed. Be advised you must pass the test before you will allowed to enroll in ED 449.
  1. What are the required Praxis scores?


5025-Early Childhood Content Knowledge (Computer) 156
5134-Art:Content Knowledge (Computer) 158
5001-Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (Computer) N/A
5002-Reading and Language Arts Subtest 157
5003-Mathematics Subtest 157
5004-Social Studies Subtest 155
5005 -Science Subtest 159
   * To pass the Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects test you must receive a passing score on each subtest. You must take the full test on your initial attempt. If after your first attempt you did not pass one of the individual subtests, you may take just that subtest again for a reduced fee.
5047-Middle School English Language Arts (Computer) 164
5169-Middle School Mathematics 165
5089-Middle School Social Studies (Computer) 158
5440-Middle School Science 150
5038-English Language, Literature and Composition(Computer) 167
5195-Spanish: World Language (Computer) 168
5161-Mathematics: Content Knowledge (Computer) 160
5113-Music: Content Knowledge (Computer) 153
5435-General Science: Content Knowledge (Computer) * Required in addition to 5235-Biology: Content Knowledge or 5245-Chemistry: Content Knowledge 152
5235-Biology: Content Knowledge (Computer) *In addition to 5435-General Science: Content Knowledge 152
5245-Chemistry: Content Knowledge (Computer) *In addition to 5435-General Science: Content Knowledge 152
5081-Social Studies: Content Knowledge (Computer) 157
6011-School Leaders Licensure Assessment (Computer) 163
6021-School Superintendent Assessment (Computer) 160


  • New Jersey requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to New Jersey with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
  • Caldwell University requires the student to pass all sections of their required Praxis II exam(s), and does not accept the GPA/Flexibility rule. More more information, please visit www.ets.org.
  1. How are the Praxis paper tests given?
  • Beginning with the 2014–15 testing year, ETS will discontinue paper-delivered testing. However, tests will be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
  • For information on computer-delivered testing and dates, visit – http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates/
  1. What are the requirements to teach High School?
  • A student needs to complete a K-12 program that includes at least 30 credits in a specific discipline, math, science, language arts, social studies, art, music, or foreign language. The student can then teach that subject upon passing the required Praxis examination.
  1. What is required to teach in a Middle School?
  • A student who has completed a K-12 program in a specific discipline (Math, Science, English or Social Studies), and holds a certificate for that subject can seek a Middle School Endorsement in a different subject area providing they have 15 credits in that subject area and have passed the appropriate Praxis


  • The student can complete the K-6 program by taking the K-6 Praxis (Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects #5001) and subject matter endorsement and the appropriate Middle School Praxis test, (Middle School English Language Arts #5047, Middle School Mathematics #5169, Middle School Social Studies #5089 or Middle School Science #5440). Note: Students taking the Elementary route must also take PS 216 Adolescent Psychology and ED 348 Secondary Content Learning and Literacy in order to be eligible for the Middle School Certificate.
  1. I only want to teach Elementary school. What endorsement do I need?
  • The Elementary School Teacher endorsement allows the bearer to teach Kindergarten through Grade 6.
  1. I want to teach pre-school. What are the requirements for certification?
  • Elementary Education majors must complete two additional courses—Curriculum in Early Childhood Education (ED333) and Methods of Early Childhood Education (ED332) to receive the preschool endorsement. You must also take and pass the Early Childhood: Content Knowledge Praxis (#0022 or 5022).
  1. What is the difference between a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) and a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing? (CEAS)?
  • The CE is issued to persons who have completed a degree program of academic study and passed the applicable test requirements for certification. The CE permits the applicant to seek and accept employment in positions requiring certification. A Provisional Teacher Program (classes/induction/mentoring for alternate route candidates) is required. Under the direction of the principal the bearer is mentored and at the completion of the mentoring period, and Provisional Teacher Program can be recommended for a permanent certificate. Districts enroll students in mentoring.
  • A CEAS is issued to persons who have completed an approved college teacher preparation program. Upon employment the bearer needs to be mentored in the school district for one year. Upon completion of the mentoring period the principal may recommended the candidate for a permanent certificate.

*Requirements may vary for each state. For information on certification in other states, please visit www.ets.org.


Dr. Brian Bulger, Office of Certification and Field Placement Director • 973-618-3629
Gloria Friedman, Office of Certification and Field Placement Coordinator • 973-618-3551.
Audrey McGowan, Administrative Assistant • 973-618-3523.