A Conversation with Father Paul Murray, O.P.
Reflections from his book
Scars: Essays, Poems and Meditations on Affliction
Thursday, September 18th, 2014
Alumni Theater/Jennings Library
Discussion begins at 4:00 p.m. A reception and book signing will immediately follow the program in the Alumni Theater Lobby.
Father Paul Murray, O.P., is a member of the Irish Dominican Province and a professor of spiritual theology at the Angelicum in Rome. He is Caldwell’s honored guest at the weekend long celebration of the university’s 75th anniversary that begins with this special preview program on September 18th.
This event is free of charge and open to the public.
To RSVP, kindly email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 973.618.3371.
Friday, September 19
7 p.m. : Family-Oriented Activity (TBD)
10 p.m. : Homecoming Bonfire (Parking Lot)
Saturday, September 20
10 a.m. : Registration Open (Outside Student Center)
11 a.m. : President’s State of the University Address (Alumni Theatre)
- Join President Nancy Blattner for the Homecoming and Family Day Kickoff event. This celebratory address will also include a special presentation by the Mayor of Caldwell, Alumni Association Awards, and Class Gift Presentations.
All Day: Alumni Art Exhibition (Visceglia Gallery)
All Day: 75th Anniversary Memorabilia and Archival Prints Display (Jennings Library)
12 p.m. – 4 p.m. : Homecoming Carnival and BBQ
- Festivities include performances by student bands and organizations, drum circle, game booths, face painting, pumpkin painting, teddy bear clinic, food trucks, street performers and more! Reunion classes will have special seating under the Alumni Tent.
12 p.m – 1:30 p.m. : Mini University – Faculty Lectures
- Go to the head of the class with 30 minute lectures by your favorite faculty members:
- 12 p.m. :
- Professor Robert Mann – “The New Golden Age of Television”
- Professor James Flynn – “The Morality Behind Whistle-Blowing on Your Work Organization”
- 12:30 p.m. :
- Professor Thomson Ling – “Falling or Failing in Love? The Psychology Behind Making Your Relationship Last”
- Professor Marie Mullaney – “New Jersey’s Lost Stories: When Paterson Was Red”
- 1:00 p.m. :
- Professor Marnie Sperling – “The Use of Simulation in Nursing and Healthcare Education” (Tour of Nursing Facility to follow)
- Sister Barbara Moore – “The Bible As Story”
- Professor Rosann Bar – “Understanding the Punch Line: Some Insights on the Sociology of Humor”
12 p.m. : Women’s Soccer v. Dominican College
1:30 p.m. : Veritas Lecture Series Presents (more information coming soon!)
2 p.m. : Men’s Soccer v. Dominican College
2:30 p.m. : Golden Anniversary Tea (invitation only) (Gallery)
- The Class of 1964 will be welcomed by the past 50th Anniversary alumnae.
4 p.m. : Mass celebrated by Archbishop Myers and Father Bob Stagg (Newman Center Gym)
5 p.m. : Alumni Art Reception (Visceglia Gallery)5 p.m. : Alumni Soccer Game
- Breakaway to the soccer field with fellow soccer alumni for the annual alumni soccer match.
5 p.m. : Dinner in the Den (Cougar Den)
- Enjoy our award-winning dining experience with fellow alumni in the Cougar Den.
5 p.m. : Music Reception (Alumni Theatre Lobby)
6 p.m. : Music Series Concert: Faculty Favorites (Alumni Theatre)
- Faculty Favorites returns to Homecoming, featuring performances by our Faculty and recent alumni. Performers include: Rebecca Vega and the alumni flute ensemble; Nan Childress and Conner Brown Romanowski ’09 with piano duets; Hae Sook Yook ’96 will sing with Laura Greenwald; Dan Yates and Betsy Mackenzie Stubbs will perform “You’re just in love”; composer/pianist Jeremy Rafal and composer/jazz saxophonist Rob Middleton. General admission $20; Seniors and students $15; Alumni and friends $10! (Caldwell students are always free.)
9 p.m. : Student Activity (TBD)
- 12 p.m. :
Click here to download Golf Brochure 2014
SANDRA DUGUID (former assistant director of academic support at Caldwell)
SUSAN L. MILLER (Rutgers, New Brunswick)
ANGELA ALAIMO O’DONNELL (associate director, Curran Ctr for American Catholic Studies, Fordham)
SUSANNA RICH (Emmy nominee; distinguished professor, Kean Univ) JUDITH VALENTE
Co-sponsored by the Caldwell University 75th Anniversary Celebration and the Tower Poets.
To RSVP, please email email@example.com or call 973-618-3371.
JUDITH VALENTE, poet and correspondent for PBS-TV’s Religion and Ethics Newsweekly, will be speaking on “Contemplation in the Age of Twitter.” Ms. Valente will be on hand following the program to sign copies of her recent book, “Atchison Blue.” A light reception will occur after the event.
This event is a part of the university’s year long 75th Anniversary celebration and is co-sponsored by the Caldwell University Department of English and the Tower Poets. Funding for this program is made possible through the generosity of the Sister Elizabeth Michael Boyle Poetry Fund.