August – October 2014
The Caldwell University Art Therapy Programs Gallery, is displaying the artwork of professional illustrator Laurence Schwinger, MFA. The exhibit is on view from Aug.25 through Oct. 24 in the gallery on the 3rd floor of Werner Hall.
As an illustrator with over 35 years experience, Schwinger’s work has been shown at the Society of Illustrators in New York City, in numerous exhibits nationwide, and is included in many personal collections. He was invited to showcase his art this fall at the 2014 IlluXCon, the largest display of original fantastic/imaginative realist art in the world. With considerable advertising experience, he has won awards in that field, including a Clio for poster design. He has illustrated the book covers for authors such as Anne Rice, David Eddings, Cornell Woolrich, and Andre Norton, as well as republished works of Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Edgar Allen Poe,
Schwinger is fulltime faculty at the Art Institute of Philadelphia. The exhibition includes pieces selected by his wife, Marie Wilson, Ph.D., professor and coordinator of Caldwell University’s CACREP Accredited Mental Health Counseling/Art Therapy Program.
He received a BFA from Philadelphia College of Art with a major in illustration and an MFA in illustration from Marywood University.
President Blattner is Guest on One-on-One With Steve Abubato
Caldwell University President Nancy Blattner, Ph.D. is a guest on One-on-One with Steve Adubato. She talks about important issues affecting higher education including her reaction to President Obama’s proposed college rating system, Caldwell’s transition from a college to a university, and the upcoming celebrations for the institution’s 75th anniversary.
Wednesday, August 27th, 7 p.m. on NJTV
Wednesday August 28, 12:30 a.m. on WNET
Caldwell University to Present a Celebration of Alumni Art: 1994-2014
Caldwell, N.J., Aug. 18, 2014 – The Caldwell University Department of Art will present the work of graduates from the last 20 years who received a BA or BFA in Art, during its “Celebration of Alumni Art, 1994-2014” exhibition in the Visceglia Gallery. The goal of the event, part of the university’s 75th anniversary commemoration, is to celebrate the remarkable creativity, innovation and dedication of the alumni over the last two decades. The diverse artistic work represents the efforts of 30 alumni, part of a vibrant community producing studio and design work in an exciting range of media.The show coincides with the institution’s newly granted status as a university.
The exhibition opens Friday, Sept. 12, and a reception will take place 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 20, in the Visceglia Gallery in the Student Center Building as part of the annual Homecoming and Family Weekend. The exhibition will run through Oct. 10.
The works are done in a variety of styles including abstraction, representational, symbolic, psychoanalytic, non-objective and graphic design in media ranging from oils and acrylic to large and small scale sculpture, mixed media, photography and video. Professor Kendall Baker, who has taught studio art at Caldwell for many years, said, “Every one of these artists has passed through my classroom, and I think I can speak for all the Art Department faculty when I say that it has been greatly rewarding after having encouraged their creative visions to see them developing their own styles and approaches as they continue their investigations.”
Caldwell launched the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1974, the first in New Jersey. More than 75 students are pursuing a major in art at the university.
For more information about Homecoming events, see http://www.caldwell.edu/homecoming. The Gallery is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All events are open to the public.
Image credits: Chris Farrell, Asia Morton, Unknown
Caldwell University will host a forum for representatives from various health professional schools to provide an opportunity for Caldwell
Friday, September 19
7 p.m. : Family-Oriented Activity (TBD)
10 p.m. : Homecoming Bonfire (Parking Lot)
Saturday, September 20
10 a.m. : Registration Open (Outside Student Center)
11 a.m. : President’s State of the University Address (Alumni Theatre)
- Join President Nancy Blattner for the Homecoming and Family Day Kickoff event. This celebratory address will also include a special presentation by the Mayor of Caldwell, Alumni Association Awards, and Class Gift Presentations.
All Day: Alumni Art Exhibition (Visceglia Gallery)
All Day: 75th Anniversary Memorabilia and Archival Prints Display (Jennings Library)
12 p.m. – 4 p.m. : Homecoming Carnival and BBQ
- Festivities include performances by student bands and organizations, drum circle, game booths, face painting, pumpkin painting, teddy bear clinic, food trucks, street performers and more! Reunion classes will have special seating under the Alumni Tent.
12 p.m – 1:30 p.m. : Mini University – Faculty Lectures
- Go to the head of the class with 30 minute lectures by your favorite faculty members:
- 12 p.m. :
- Professor Robert Mann – “The New Golden Age of Television”
- Professor James Flynn – “The Morality Behind Whistle-Blowing on Your Work Organization”
- 12:30 p.m. :
- Professor Thomson Ling – “Falling or Failing in Love? The Psychology Behind Making Your Relationship Last”
- Professor Marie Mullaney – “New Jersey’s Lost Stories: When Paterson Was Red”
- 1:00 p.m. :
- Professor Marnie Sperling – “The Use of Simulation in Nursing and Healthcare Education” (Tour of Nursing Facility to follow)
- Sister Barbara Moore – “The Bible As Story”
- Professor Rosann Bar – “Understanding the Punch Line: Some Insights on the Sociology of Humor”
12 p.m. : Women’s Soccer v. Dominican College
1:30 p.m. : Veritas Lecture Series Presents (more information coming soon!)
2 p.m. : Men’s Soccer v. Dominican College
2:30 p.m. : Golden Anniversary Tea (invitation only) (Gallery)
- The Class of 1964 will be welcomed by the past 50th Anniversary alumnae.
4 p.m. : Mass celebrated by Archbishop Myers and Father Bob Stagg (Newman Center Gym)
5 p.m. : Alumni Art Reception (Visceglia Gallery)5 p.m. : Alumni Soccer Game
- Breakaway to the soccer field with fellow soccer alumni for the annual alumni soccer match.
5 p.m. : Dinner in the Den (Cougar Den)
- Enjoy our award-winning dining experience with fellow alumni in the Cougar Den.
5 p.m. : Music Reception (Alumni Theatre Lobby)
6 p.m. : Music Series Concert: Faculty Favorites (Alumni Theatre)
- Faculty Favorites returns to Homecoming, featuring performances by our Faculty and recent alumni. Performers include: Rebecca Vega and the alumni flute ensemble; Nan Childress and Conner Brown Romanowski ’09 with piano duets; Hae Sook Yook ’96 will sing with Laura Greenwald; Dan Yates and Betsy Mackenzie Stubbs will perform “You’re just in love”; composer/pianist Jeremy Rafal and composer/jazz saxophonist Rob Middleton. General admission $20; Seniors and students $15; Alumni and friends $10! (Caldwell students are always free.)
9 p.m. : Student Activity (TBD)
- 12 p.m. :
Click here to download Golf Brochure 2014
SANDRA DUGUID (former assistant director of academic support at Caldwell)
SUSAN L. MILLER (Rutgers, New Brunswick)
ANGELA ALAIMO O’DONNELL (associate director, Curran Ctr for American Catholic Studies, Fordham)
SUSANNA RICH (Emmy nominee; distinguished professor, Kean Univ)
Co-sponsored by the Caldwell University 75th Anniversary Celebration and the Tower Poets.
To RSVP, please email email@example.com or call 973-618-3371.